I learned about Paltalk a few years ago but couldn't stand the advertisements and I didn't want to pay for the ad-free version. Today, a Muslim friend showed me that the browser-based version of Paltalk (called Paltalk Express) doesn't have advertisements. For a browser-based communication program, it works extremely well. I was able both to hear and speak with no breakup or garbling.
Here's a quick run-down on advantages of Paltalk:
- Large crowds (I've seen over 700 in the Muslim-Christian Dialogue room I was in)
- No software installed (just use your browser)
- No advertisements
- Paltalk rooms are clearly organized by category (and you can block seeing any adult rooms, unlike Skypecasts).
- Room "owners" can designate other friends as "administrators" to keep the room moderated while the owner is away.
- You can play MP3 files to your "audience".
And to Tony and Milio who tried to get me into Paltalk a long time ago: sorry guys, it looks like you were right!