Saturday, September 20, 2008

The Blessing of Withdrawn Blessings

Earlier this week, our refrigerator quit. To be more precise, the compressor did. All it did was make a repeated, feeble noise attempting to start up. Dad started poking around to find the start capacitor, thinking maybe it was the problem. Never did find the start capacitor, but when he plugged it back in, the compressor kicked right in! It's been working fine ever since!

Now why did God allow our fridge to die only to resurrect it an hour later? I'm not denying there were natural forces at work (this fridge is certainly old enough to die!), but I'm looking at the bigger issue of why God allows things like this.

A partial answer may be this: I don't appreciate things much until I lose them. The more I age, the more I appreciate the health I have left. When I've had difficulty sleeping, sleep became incredibly precious to me. When looking for a church to join (and finding mostly bad ones) the few good ones became all the more delightful. And losing the refrigerator caused me to realize what a blessing it is to have had a fridge that has served us so faithfully for so many years.

Thanks, God, for a working refrigerator, electricity to run the refrigerator, the money to pay for electricity to run the refrigerator, the strength to earn the money to pay for electricity to run the refrigerator, the food to get the strength to earn the money to pay for electricity to run the refrigerator, the rain to grow the food to get the strength to earn the money to pay for electricity to run the refrigerator...

And thanks for taking away our blessings sometimes so that we appreciate them more.

No comments:

Post a Comment