Sunday, July 21, 2013

God's Uncomfortable Voice

Are you sure you want God to talk with you?

A friend of ours, Jim Guerrieri, got tested recently.  We know him well and I can assure you he didn't make this story up.  He's a yard maintenance guy, not a TV evangelist.

Jim's alternator went out (thankfully, when his car was parked in his driveway).  But the timing was worrisome: he was supposed to drive the car to California in two days.  He called O'Reilly's and they said they had one in stock.  He went to O'Reilly's and even though the computer said they had one, they couldn't find it.  They spent like 25 minutes looking for it.  That's when the uncomfortable voice started talking.  "Tell them that I will show you where to find it, and then I will."

"But God, they'll think I'm nuts!"

"If you don't, you won't be able to go to California."  (In a small town like ours, finding another alternator in 2 days might well have been difficult.)

So finally Jim decided to give it a go.  "You'll probably think I'm crazy, but I believe that God will show me where it's at if you'll let me come behind the counter."

The clerk was only too happy. "I don't care who helps you, I need all the help I can get!"

Jim went behind the counter, and promptly felt guided to go down a particular aisle and look on a particular shelf.  He grabbed the box with the alternator and handed it to the astonished clerk.

The manager said he had never seen anything like that in his life, and gave Jim $20 off.

No comments:

Post a Comment