Wednesday, June 12, 2013

Dependent

Tuesday night was a long one.  I don't think I've ever stayed up until 1:30 AM before.  Dad's low-grade fever (which we thought he had under control) had suddenly shot up.  In a matter of hours he went from (seemingly) barely sick to barely able to speak or move.  Mom and I were on the verge of calling an ambulance, but the Lord turned the situation around through aspirin and hydrotherapy.

I learned how strong God can make us.  It seemed so odd for me and Mom to be the strong ones; normally it is Dad.  I learned that I can focus and hold together in the middle of a medical crisis.  I learned that I can get by on far less sleep than I knew (a lesson most mothers learn early).  I have fewer things to fear now, having experienced God's provision in the middle of a storm.

I also learned how frail we are as humans.  I have never seen Dad this sick before.  It came on so suddenly and unexpectedly that he didn't realize how sick he was until we told him about it afterwards.  If he had been alone, he probably would not have lived through it.  The seeming strength we have as humans is all due to God's sustaining hand, and it doesn't take Him long to prove it.

27 They all wait for You
To give them their food in due season.
28 You give to them, they gather it up;
You open Your hand, they are satisfied with good.
29 You hide Your face, they are dismayed;
You take away their spirit, they expire
And return to their dust.
30 You send forth Your Spirit, they are created;
And You renew the face of the ground. (from Psalm 104, NASB)

Dad received medical attention today.  It seems he has a bad UTI (perhaps picked up e coli in India?), and is now taking Cipro.  Thank you all for your prayers!

1 comment:

  1. So glad God is in control! Blessings to you and your folks. We'll say a prayer for you all. Rest, peace and joy to you. Trina

    ReplyDelete