Friday, October 21, 2011

When was the last time you read a short story?

I don't mean the little snippets of stories that you read all the time on Facebook or even in blogs like this.  I mean the classic literary genre of short story.  A real short story.  I fear our lives have gotten so fragmented by technology that we no longer have attention spans to sit for even a short story now.  When last did you actually take time to read one?

I read a short story when I was in my late teens that found a permanent place in my memory.  The title is "Contents of the Dead Man's Pockets" by Jack Finney.  I tried several times since then to find it again.  Just a few days ago I succeeded.  It was just as good as I remembered. 

I hope you'll take time to read it too.  Share it with a teen you care about.  Then talk about its meaning.  Here are some questions to ponder:
  • Would this story make a good movie?  Why or why not?
  • What is the worldview of the author?
  • What worldview is he confronting?
  • How would the story have been different (and better) if the author had a Christian worldview?

No comments:

Post a Comment