Friday, April 24, 2009

Wonder-full Childishness

In both a young girl and an old man, I saw a dimension of childhood that I wish I could recapture in my own life. I met both of them last week in Albuquerque.

This 11 year old girl kept Lu and me utterly delighted for... was it an hour and a half? We lost track of time. She was oblivious to the effect she had on us. What was it about her? It was some amazing combination of an adult's intelligence and communication ability with a child's wonder in life. Click below to watch a video of her describing some of her art creations. The art isn't exceptional but the articulation is.

From Albuquerque

The 92 year old man is one of VOM's new reps in New Mexico, Bill Fry. Here he is at our team dinner Friday night.
Bill has an infectious "wonder" about God's grace. When you hear him talk about Jesus, the Bible, or the persecuted church, you have the sense that he only learned about them in the last couple days and hasn't gotten "bored" with them yet. I don't know if he's always been like this or if it's just in the last few years that God has done this "work of childishness" in Bill. But in any case, if I make it to 92, I hope I have the joy and delight in God that he has.

1 comment:

  1. Sure wish I could have made it up to Alb this last weekend. Hopefully next time. Hope to hear back from you soon. I look forward to serving VOM with you! God bless, Jeremy

    ReplyDelete