Tuesday, March 3, 2009

Assist an Ailing Atheist

My friend Tony recently informed me about a Dallas woman suffering both physically and financially.

"Lola Robot", as she's known on Skype, has had a degenerating spine condition for years, but now it's to the point she has to take pain meds just to manage. A certain type of artificial disc replacement may help, but her Blue Cross Blue Shield considers it experimental and won't pay for it. However, the pain is so great she's decided to get the surgery anyways. Ironically, it's cheaper to have the surgery done in Germany than the US, but it will still take virtually every penny she has. She will fly to "Deutschland" in a few days for surgery on March 20. (And she is really scared of air travel.)

As Tony and I talked about it, we realized this could be a good opportunity to show Jesus in a practical way, through both prayer and giving.

I ask the Christians reading this to pray for Lola during the next few weeks. Lola is an atheist and doesn't believe in prayer. Which of course poses no problem to us, since we believe God can answer prayer regardless of the faith of the recipient.

I also ask all my readers to consider sending a gift to help defray her medical expenses. She does have PayPal so it's quite easy.

If you're like me, you're naturally skeptical when you get asked for money like this. I want to clarify that Lola never asked Tony or me for money. (And definitely not for prayers!) Sending this appeal to you was not Lola's idea but mine (hopefully from Jesus, really).

If you have questions, feel free to contact me, or Tony (tonynotbaloney[at]yahoo.co.uk), or Lola herself (josborn1[at]airmail.net).

"Blessed are the merciful, for they shall receive mercy."-- Matthew 5:7
"But God demonstrates His own love toward us, in that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." -- Romans 5:8

No comments:

Post a Comment