Saturday, July 5, 2008

Dinner with MacDonalds

No, I didn't say at McDonald's!

A new rep from New Mexico, John MacDonald arrived at OWU on Friday afternoon, too late for the team meeting. It was great to finally personally meet John and his 19 year old son Daniel (good name). They offered to take me out to dinner, and I didn't take long to accept!

Since I knew the restaurants in town slightly better than they did, I suggested we go back to the Chinese buffet (where I'd just had the team luncheon earlier in the day). The young guy at the counter was very happy to see me again. I think he was hoping I had brought another group of 19.

Here's a picture of John and Daniel in our booth.



I started telling them about the lunch with Mujahid. While I was in the middle of describing Mujahid's story to them, who should walk into the restaurant but three Muslim women! And where should they sit but in the booth right behind me! I was momentarily speechless, trying to figure out what God wanted me to do. I have only seen a Muslim woman in person a couple times in my life, and never more than one at a time. Now here were three, and in Mayberry USA, "Leave it to Beaver" Bartlesville, Oklahoma at that!

I regret to tell you that I do not have a heroic ending for this story. I didn't know what to do, so consequently I didn't do anything! Afterwards I realized that I could have paid their bill and left a note behind that said something like “I paid your bill because Jesus has paid for my sins – this meal is a gift to you from Him” or something like that. (Seems like I always get great ideas -- afterwards.)

The event was sobering to me. I sensed God was trying to show me the urgency of reaching the Muslim world with the love of Jesus. I missed this opportunity, but I hope it motivates me to pursue many more.

No comments:

Post a Comment